This beginner skateboard guide will teach you what you should look for in a beginner board. Skateboards are something that most of us have tried at some point. If you are planning to begin, you should know that this is fun and interesting activity that can be useful as well, due to the fact you can get anywhere you want in a matter of minutes. A great thing is the fact, there are a lot of skateboards on the market, so all you need to do is to get the one you like the most. However, these are complicated things, so you should pay attention to several factors.
Why you should start with skateboarding
Skateboards are fun, so this is the main reason why you should use them. In general, boards can be used for transportation over shorter distances and can also allow you to participate in different skateboard related sporting events. No matter what your purpose in looking for a new beginner skateboard, you will have fun.
Keep in mind that most people believe skateboards are fun, so you will also find a lot of friends that have the same opinion. An additional benefit you will get is the ability to advance. At first, this may look complicated and hard, but after a few days, you will start enjoying the practice more and more. Eventually, you will be able to do amazing stunts with your skateboard. However, this will take time and there may be some injuries. So, it is mandatory to wear proper protective equipment. Don’t forget that if you can do stunts with your skateboard, you will be noticed and all people are going to look at you. This is a great way to get cool points in the society.
Due to the fact that riding a skateboard includes a lot of physical activity, you are going to be in a great shape. So, this is another benefit you will get if you start with this sport. On the other hand, you won’t have to practice every day in order to start seeing the benefits.
Beginner skateboard types
There are several types of skateboards. Although, most of them look the same and they can be defined in the same way (four wheels, hard deck and no engine) there are some differences between them. This is mandatory to know, simply because you are going to need a skateboard that suits you well and people usually like different models. In general, these are the most popular types of skateboards.
- Pseudo-Surfboard- These are old skateboards, made from wood. Although, they are not usually used, a lot of people like them, because they are different. These skateboards look like banana and they have a different shape than modern skateboards.
- Polyprop – This type is simple, made from plastic and it has larger wheels. This model is the cheapest version and it is great for beginners. A good addition is the fact there are a lot of different models on the market, so you can always get the one you like.
- Performance- These skateboards are made from fiberglass or similar materials, so they are more durable than previous models. They can be used by beginners and semi-professionals. On the other side, the dimensions, shape and size may vary, so if you are looking for a unique skateboard, this type should be taken into account.
Slalom board – They are made from carbon fiber, so they are very durable. On the other hand, they are smaller than ordinary skateboards and have smaller wheels. Most people claim that riding these skateboards is harder than some other types.
- Freestyle board- They come in different shapes and sizes, but they are usually larger than aforementioned types. A great addition is the fact each skateboard from this type look unique.
Longboards- These are the longest skateboards with the largest surface. Riding them is easier than riding other, usually smaller skateboards.
Factors that should be taken into account when choosing the best beginner skateboard
In order to get the best skateboard, you should pay attention to different factors, before buying. Despite the fact these are small; products, they have a lot of features and they are a bit complicated.
Keep in mind that the main component is the deck, so it should be made from strong materials. Strong plastics, fiberglass and carbon fiber are the most common materials used in the manufacturing process. Carbon fiber is the strongest material, but the price of these skateboards is the highest, and they are usually for professionals. There are some models made from wood, but they are too obsolete.
If you are overweight or you have a few pounds more, this factor is even more important than you can imagine. Some models simply cannot withstand a lot of weight, so they should be avoided. On the other side, most models can withstand up to 300 pounds of weight which is more than enough. This is an important factor, and it can make a difference between the best and a poorer quality skateboard. On the other side if you have low weight, it isn’t the mandatory factor.
The size of a skateboard must be taken into account as well, due to the fact it determines how and where you can ride your skateboard. Larger skateboards are easier to ride and they are more practical. On the other side, smaller skateboards have better maneuverability and can be easily carried. If you are a beginner, a larger skateboard would be the best choice. When you gain experience, you can start with a smaller skateboard.
These components are small parts located in the wheels, so you cannot see them. However, they are important due to the fact they are used every time when you ride your skateboard. High quality bearings are more important than you believe, and they can withstand higher speeds. This also means that they are the best choice when it comes to fast skateboards.
The size and the quality of the wheels is another, important factor. Keep in mind that bigger wheels are a better choice if you ride your skateboard on rough terrain. On the other side, smaller wheels offer better maneuverability and they make the entire skateboard look smaller. Choose the corresponding size of the wheels, based on the terrain and the main applications of your new skateboard.
This is the most interesting factor that simply must be taken into account. If you are planning to use your skateboard so people notice you, bright colors and larger wheels are the best choice. There are a lot of different models on the market, so this factor depends completely on you.
Top 5 beginner skateboards
1. Atom Drop Deck Longboard (39 Inch)
Atom Drop Deck Longboard (39 Inch)
This skateboard is one of the most popular at the moment. It is ultra-low, which makes riding it very fun and the maneuverability is at the highest level. This is a longboard, so the length of it is 41 inch, which make sit perfect if you are a beginner. On the other side, this skateboard looks amazing and it has interesting design, completely different than other skateboards have. The price isn’t very high, so this can be an affordable product. The deck is made from maple laminate, so it is durable and resistant.
- Ultra-low which makes it perfect for people who like to ride their skateboards fast
- Great maneuverability
- Maple laminate deck
- Heavy-duty wheels
- Resistant to damages
- Easy to ride
- High quality bearings so they can last long.
- Interesting design
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
- The design may be an issue if you ran into a curb
- Cannot withstand a lot of load
- Generates noise while riding
2. Powell Golden Dragon Flying Dragon Complete Skateboard
Powell Golden Dragon Flying Dragon Complete Skateboard is one of the most affordable skateboards you can get, but it offers high quality and great features. The first and the most important thing you are going to notice about it is the design and colors. This skateboard looks amazing and completely different than all other skateboards from this price range. On the other side, all components are well-made, so there won’t be any issues with the build quality. The skateboard has been made in China, but it was designed and developed in the United States. It is perfect for beginners or people who want to have occasional fun.
- Great colors that make it look amazing
- Designed for beginners, but it can be used by professionals as well
- High quality
- Easy to ride
- Treated surface
- The surface is resistant to lighter damages
- Large dimensions
- Classic shape, so it is perfect for people who like this shape
- Fully assembled, so you can use it as soon you get it
- Children like it the most, thanks to the amazing colors
- The deck cannot withstand huge load
- Small wheels
- The color isn’t very resistant on the bottom part
Rimable Complete 22″ Skateboard is another skateboard designed for beginners that can be used by advanced individuals as well. It offers amazing design, great quality and it even looks nice. The best part is the fact it comes in so many, different colors and variants, so you can get a model you really like. At the same time, this is one of those features that make this product stand out from the crowd. The bearings are well-made as well, and they are designed for professional applications. So, this skateboard can be used by people who will ride it every day. In addition, other components can withstand rough use as well.
- Made from high-quality plastic
- Heavy duty bearings that can withstand rough use
- Can withstand up to 200 lbs of load, which is more than similar models can withstand
- Aluminum trucks
- Available in different colors and in different variants
- The deck is so strong that it is impossible to break it
- Screws may have to be tighten after some time
- The paperwork in the package is low
- Isn’t great for professional skateboarders
4. Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard,Blue Flame
Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard,Blue Flame
Krown Rookie Complete Skateboard is the simplest but one of the best skateboards on the list. It is made from Canadian maple, so it offers an amazing quality and it can be used in many applications. The design is classic, so this product is perfect for beginners or people who like this shape. In addition, it comes in different colors, so you can always choose the one you like the most. Tricks are made from aluminum and they have a size of 5 inches. AT this moment, this beginner skateboard is one of the best and the most popular skateboards on the market, so it is one of the best choices.
- More than affordable
- Available in different colors
- Classic design
- Can withstand a lot of load
- Heavy duty bearings
- Great choice for beginners and people who will use it occasionally
- All components are made from high-quality materials.
- Grip tape is a standard feature that makes riding this skateboard simpler
- Isn’t the best choice for advanced skateboarders
- Some components look poor-made
- The colors are not very resistant
- Too small wheels
5. Penny Skateboards Complete Longboard, Cyan Blue
Penny Skateboards Complete Longboard can be used if you are a beginner and if you are an advanced skateboarder. It has an amazing quality and the latest features. On the other side, the price is higher as well, and this product is more expensive than other products on the list. For that amount of money, you get the highest level of quality, great wheel, even better deck and high quality bearings that can withstand any type of load and terrain. In addition, this skateboard looks elegant and different, so it is a great choice if you want to have something unique.
- Great design
- Perfect quality
- The deck is layered with a rubber, so the risk of slipping is reduced to the minimum
- Resistant to damages and scratches
- Perfect for beginners
- High price
- Made in 2014
- Some components look cheap, despite the fact they are made from high-quality materials